Delaware Social Work Programs and Degrees Guide
Although you do not need to be licensed to practice social work at the generalist or advanced generalist level in Delaware, earning a social work degree can make you eligible for more job opportunities in the state and across the country. A Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) opens doors to many entry-level careers, while a Master of Social Work (MSW) is recommended for advanced careers, including careers in clinical practice. This page will help you learn about social work schools in Delaware so that you can make an informed choice for your education.
- 1 school offering social work programs in Delaware is in our database (see below)
- Of the social work schools in Delaware, none offer associate’s degrees or certificates, 1 offers bachelor’s degrees, and 1 offers a master’s or advanced degree1
- No schools ranked in Kiplinger’s Best Values in Public Colleges in 20182
- 1 school ranked in US News Best Graduate Social Work Programs in 20183
- No schools ranked in Social Work Guide’s Top Online MSW Programs in 20184
- Across 1 school, 2 bachelor’s and master’s social work degree programs in Delaware are accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)5
Top-Ranked Schools with Social Work Programs in Delaware
US News Best Graduate Social Work Programs 2018
- Delaware State University (#174 tie)
Schools with Social Work Programs Accredited by the CSWE
- Delaware State University
Schools in Delaware with Social Work Degree Programs
BSW and Other Undergraduate Programs
Delaware State University
Delaware State University is located in the central capital city of Dover and has over 4,000 undergraduate students enrolled. The school’s Department of Social Work offers a CSWE-accredited BSW degree that focuses on social justice issues facing African-American communities such as racism, oppression, and economic injustice. The program also provides opportunities to focus on rural social work issues and connect local social work practice to global concerns. Students take liberal arts and introductory classes in the first two years of study and then take social work classes in the final two years. In 2016 US News and World Report ranked the school in a tie for 125th place among regional universities in the North. Although presently two-thirds of the student body is of African-American heritage, the university also attracts many students from other diverse backgrounds.
MSW and Other Graduate Programs
Delaware State University
The MSW program at Delaware State University builds on the generalist BSW curriculum by focusing on issues faced by African-American communities from an advanced generalist perspective. Students will deepen their knowledge of social justice issues and develop the skills to affect change at the micro, mezzo, and macro levels, as well as from leadership positions in social service contexts. Students complete field education placements in both years to put classroom learning into practice. The program can be completed in two years and classes can be taken in Dover, at the secondary campus in Wilmington, or a combination of both. Advanced standing is offered to students with a CSWE-accredited BSW degree. These applicants can skip the foundational year of the program and begin their study in the specialization year. It is also possible to complete the program over four years of part-time study.
Accreditation Information for Delaware Social Work Schools
|School||Graduation Rate1||Transfer-Out Rate1||Associate’s SW Program||Bachelor’s SW Program||Graduate SW Program||CSWE Accredited5||US News Best Social Work Grad Schools Ranking3||Net Price*1|
|Delaware State University||43%||N/A||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||#174 tie||$12,603|
*The net price is calculated by the National Center for Education Statistics by subtracting the average amount of aid (including grants and scholarships) from the total published cost of attendance for in-state/in-district students, which includes tuition, books, room and board, and other expenses. To gain a better understanding of how to interpret the statistics discussed in this table, see our list of important definitions.
Directory of Delaware Social Work School Programs
Schools with an asterisk (*) have programs accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
Delaware State University*
1200 N Dupont Hwy
Dover, Delaware 19901
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Kiplinger’s Best College Values: https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/college/T014-S001-kiplinger-s-best-values-in-private-colleges/index.php?table=all
3. US News & World Report Social Work Best Grad Schools Rankings: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools/social-work-rankings
4. Social Work Guide’s Top Online MSW Programs 2018: https://www.socialworkguide.org/degrees/masters/online/
5. Council on Social Work Education: https://www.cswe.org/Accreditation/Directory-of-Accredited-Programs.aspx